Souris Valley Special Services employs one staff who is trained in the Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® program and offer trainings several times per year. This program is a safe, non-harmful behavior management system designed to help school professionals provide the best possible care for students experiencing negatively aggressive behaviors. School administrators, general, and special educators are encouraged to attend these training free of charge.
These trainings will teach participants to:
1. Identify behavior levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate intervention for each level;
2. Identify useful nonverbal techniques which can help to prevent acting-out behaviors;
3. Use verbal techniques to de-escalate inappropriate behaviors;
4. Demonstrate CPI’s Principles of Personal Safety to avoid injury;
5. Understand and develop team intervention strategies and techniques;
6. Recognize the importance of staff attitudes and professionalism when responding to s crisis;
7. Demonstrate physical control and restraint positions when necessary (as a last resort due to the individual’s dangerous behaviors);
8. Provide for the Care, Welfare, Safety, and SecuritySM of all those who are involved;
9. Apply course materials to real-life situations;
10. Learn post-intervention activities; and
11. Use a model for action after an incident the will bring closure, debriefing, and re-establish relationships between staff and student.
Dr. Alison Dollar
(119kb - pdf)
If you cannot fully access the information on any web page of this site, please let us know the accessibility issue you are having by contacting, Alison Dollar at (701) 857-4410 or by e-mail at Alison.Dollar@svssnd.org.
We will try to provide the information to you in an alternate format and/or make the necessary improvements to make the information accessible. If you would like to file a formal grievance under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, you may contact our Section 504 coordinator, Alison Dollar, Director at 1370 20th Ave SW., Minot ND, (701) 857-4410 or by e-mail at Alison.Dollar@svssnd.org
The Souris Valley Special Services Unit is committed to maintaining a learning and working environment free from discrimination and harassment in all employment and educational programs, activities, and facilities. The Unit prohibits discrimination and harassment based on a student, parent/guardian, employee and/or applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability, age, or other status protected by law, in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities.
For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, or to file a complaint of discrimination or harassment, please contact:
Dr. Alison Dollar
Title IX, 504, and nondiscrimination Coordinator
1370 20th Ave SW
Minot, ND. 58701
Inquiries and complaints under Title IX may also be referred to the United States Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR):
Office for Civil Rights, Chicago Office
U.S. Department of Education
500 W. Madison St., Suite 1475
Chicago, IL 60661-4544
Telephone: (312) 730-1560
Souris Valley Special Services (SVSS) - 1370 20th Ave SW - Minot, ND
Ph: (701) 857-4410 Fax: (701) 857-4413 Copyright 2018